January 19, 2011

Cowgirls, trains, and surfers.....Oh my!

This past weekend provided me with a fair amount of creative opportunity.  One baby shower cake with matching cupcakes, and two birthday cakes.....all very different from each other in style and theme. 

Here's a picture of the Thomas cake that I made for my neighbor who lives a couple of miles away.  Funny, we didn't even realize how close we live to each other until she ordered this cake and I gave her directions to my house!
 
 I also made a Phineas and Ferb birthday cake for one of Brent's classmate's younger siblings.  I also made a K-State cake for his sister a few weeks ago.  I really enjoyed doing both of these cakes.  This type of cake is something I get a lot of satisfaction out of.  I love it when I finish all of the separate components and it all pulls together into a fun and exciting cake that makes the recipients eyes light up.  Here are pictures of both of those cakes. 




Both cakes are iced with buttercream and then decorated with fondant pieces.  The only item on the Phineas and Ferb cake that is not edible is the surf board with the two of them on it. All of the pieces on the K-State cake are edible.  I made all of the decorations for these cakes out of fondant.  It's a relaxing medium to use...as long as it's doing what I want it too!  Kind of like playing with playdough.  :) 

That leaves the baby shower cake.  This was probably my favorite baby shower cake that I've ever made.  It very different than the usual pastels associated with most baby showers.  Maybe I just like it because I have a soft spot for the "Toy Story" movies. 

The original design called for Jessie to be sitting on the cupcake on the top.  My client provided the Jessie doll and it turned out that she wouldn't bend into a seated position as originally planned.....so we had to be flexible since Jessie was rufusing to be!  The cupcake came off and she was placed on the top of the cake on her stand.  Turned out really cute anyway!  I also made some matching cupcakes to go with this cake.  This was such a fun cake to make!


This is a picture of the cake when I finished it......before we knew Jessie wouldn't bend.  She was supposed to be sitting on the cupcake.  (Note the circle of black dots around the base of the cupcake.)


This picture shows how the finished product looked.....cupcake removed and Jessie standing inside the circle of dots.  I found it amazing that the stand for the Jessie doll fit perfectly inside the dots that I had put around the base of the cupcake!



These are the cupcakes that I made to match the "Jessie Cake".  This was a last minute design idea that sprang into my head.  I was trying to figure out how to decorate them so that they would coordinate with the main cake.  I thought of this idea when I realized that I had a small amount of red and black fondant left over from the big cake.   I think they turned out pretty cute!


That's the sum of my adventures for the past weekend.  With a calendar booked full of cakes for the coming weekend, I'm sure there will be no time for bordom any time soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment