March 23, 2011

March Madness!

~
Well, okay....anyone that knows me probably knows that I'm not a big sports fan.  I am about as far away from athletically inclined as they come.   Brackets?  What? Are you hanging a shelf on the wall??? What else would you need brackets for??  So.....I don't know much about March Madness.  But, I DO know a thing or two about cake...and I believe this first one will fit under the March Madness category:

I made this cake for our longtime family friend and neighbor Denny and Sandy Pettigrew.  It was for their daughter's birthday.  It is iced with buttercream and all of the decorative pieces including the bow, ribbon, Jayhawk, and lettering are made from fondant. 
Here's a sampling of the many other college/sports/team related cakes that I've made in the past.
...for E-Palm's birthday last year.


Happy Birthday Natalie!


Happy 21st Megan!

Happy Birthday Nathan

The following three pictures were for graduation parties.  I hand-made the pieces on top to represent the sports that these graduates were involved in.  I made them from fondant and then painted the detail on with a paintbrush and food coloring.
Baseball
Tennis

Cross Country/Track

That just about covers my knowledge of sports, so now we'll move on to some other cakes I've made recently.
Superhero Cakes are always a fun choice for a young boy's birthday party.  Here are two that I have made recently.



...and Tractors are also a fun choice for the young and young at heart.
I made this one using color flow icing and the hay-bales are fondant.

My great-niece celebrated her 5th birthday this weekend and, of course, "Hello Kitty" was on the guest list:


We had strawberry cake iced with buttercream.  I made Hello Kitty and the hearts from fondant.

We also had some matching chocolate cupcakes...
...iced with buttercream and decorated with fondant hearts.  So cute!

While we're on the subject of cute girly girl stuff, here's a super-cute First Birthday cake that I made recently.

What could possibly be more girly than Minnie Mouse??!!  The entire cake is iced in buttercream and the lettering, silhouettes, bow and ears are all made from fondant. 
The top tier is also covered in fondant in order to achieve the look of the Disney "ear-hats". 
I made the ears and bow about two days ahead of time so that they would be dry and stand firm.
 
You can't have a first birthday without a smash cake for the guest of honor:

These cakes were so much fun to make!  I loved how they turned out.

The last cake that I have to feature this week is a baby shower cake that I made on the same day as the Minnie Mouse cake.


This is the second bow that I have made from fondant.  The first one turned out fine, but this one is alot better!  Perfecting my technique, I guess. :)  I used a different method to make the loops and it really improved the final product.  This entire cake is iced with fondant over a thin layer of buttercream.  Everything you see here is edible.

I'll leave you with a sweet little fact this week:

Did you know?
 According to Harper's Index, the estimated amount of glucose used by an adult human brain each day, expressed in M&Ms is 250.

I better go pour myself of a bowl of M&Ms right now!  I've got a long ways to go to reach that goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment